When you attempt to add a shared printer on a WinXP machine to your Vista computer, chances are you might encounter driver problems because the guest computer will download a copy of the driver for the printer from the host computer. Especially when the printer’s XP driver isn’t mean for Vista at all, you might be prompted with driver error messages.
Here is a way where you can add the shared printer as well as specifiying the driver yourself.
- Open the Printers folder, located inside Control Panel.
- On the top, click on Add a printer.
- Select Add a local printer.
- Choose Create a new port, then select Local Port.
- Enter the path to the shared printer. e.g. \\XP_computer_name\Printer_name.
- When you are prompted to select the printer, choose Have disk and provide the Vista driver for the printer.