Download and install the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder on the WinXP machines.
Posts tagged: Network
The Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder is needed to be install on the WinXP machines. LLTD is used by Vista to map out the computers and devices on the network.
The LLTD Responder for WinXP can be downloaded from here (KB922120).
Like Windows XP, Vista have administrative shares for all the drives too (driver letter with a ‘$’ behind. e.g C$, D$). These adminstrative shares allows an administrator to access the drives across the network with admin priviledge. However in Vista, the administrative shares are there but access to them had been disabled.
To enable access to the administrative shares, you need to perform the following steps.
- Click on Start then Run, type regedit and OK.
- On the left panel, browse and select the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Policies\system\.
- On the right panel, right click, select New, DWORD(32-bit) Value
- Type LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy.
- Double click on the object you have just created and type 1 into the box.
- Click OK and restart your computer